Monday, June 3, 2013

Our second chicken coop


My goodness, chickens are a lot of work when you want to add onto the family.  We have decided to build a second coop because the newer ones were not being treated well by the big mammas.  Then to top it off, we found out we had 2 roosters.  I am so bummed.  I really wanted Easter Egg Chickens.  I have heard and I don't know how accurate this is, but Shiptons gets straight run chickens and advertises them as girls.  It certainly  does make sense in our case.  This Sunday, we went to a gals home who has chickens.  (She owns Quilt Blossoms Main)  They took our 3 and we bought 3 more.  I do care where my food comes from and am trying to purchase from local producers.  I found out from this gal with the chickens, that the Huderites have some immoral practices with their chickens.  I believed her because she actually has some from them.  I don't know if she rescued them or what.  They feed them high protein feed so they will produce 3 to 4 eggs a day.  Their feathers on their backs are off (due to the male chickens mating) but they can't grow back their feathers because the feed isn't for rebuilding and growing feathers, so they have none in the back.  If  and I am saying if they are free range, they will get sun burned in the summer and frozen in the winter.  Also, that too is an if.  They only last 3 to 4 months because of the stress of laying so many eggs a day.  Terrible.  God gave us these creatures to nurture and take care of.  It makes me sick.  I am glad I had my eyes opened up, so I can be more careful where my food comes from.  


 boys painting the coop, they got more paint on themselves than on the coop





 Our new chickens




No comments: