Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pumpkins and Squash oh my!

We grew over a 100 pumpkin and squash this year.  Thank heavens we split them between my parents and us.  Yikes.  We canned yesterday from 10a.m.-10p.m. UGH  I am so glad we are done canning for the year.  Unfortunately, we weren't sure they sealed correctly so the quarts are sitting in our freezer.  What a bummer.  It would have taken less time if I would have frozen them in baggies.  Oh well.  Nathan for the first time tasted our squash bars and really liked them.

I think Sebastian is waffling back and forth about the whole public school situation.  In fact, I think he is wanting to stay at home.  I realize the importance of actually taking a child's complaints serious.  I think he just wanted to feel heard and validated.  In fact, I catch him often saying yes, ma'am more often.  It throws me every time.  He is reading the Percy Jackson series and has fallen in love with Greek mythology.  I told him we will be studying it at home next semester and that also has made him want to stay at home.   2 more weeks left.

We took the week off of school, I am going to go every 6 weeks/1 week off of school.  Except in Dec. and August.  We will take the whole months off.  It sounds quite wonderful.  I love having scheduled breaks.  Otherwise I would never take them or if I did I would feel like I wasn't doing a good job with school because I was taking too much time off.  Everyone seemed to like it.  I got a lot of cooking done so I didn't get a break and sometimes it felt more stressful because I wanted to get all the things done on my list.  If it will make the next 2 or 3 weeks run more smoothly and peacefully than it was well worth it.

I keep thinking we have only 2 1/2 months left on GAPS until we slowly wean ourselves off.  Quite frankly, I don't know how much we will change.  I really have gotten use to no bread and other stuff I thought I could never live without.  I don't want to go back on sugar, I think we will stay on honey.  I will no longer do cereal unless it is granola and hopefully one day, oats.  I can't wait for reg. beans with substance.  I love black beans.  However, I think I will always stay away from canned foods as much as possible.  I will always make my broth, cook and soak my beans, so realistically we will stay 80% on it.  Cosette and Analise broke out in a rash on their face and now Hannelora says her neck is itchy.  Last night, we had pizza and Nathan also sprayed for bugs.  Analise has broken out with a rash since Wed.  I know it can't be that.  Who knows.  I am making them eat broth and sourkrout.  It is so fun in my house right now.    We have 2 major Holidays coming up and it really stinks about the food.  I won't lie about how difficult it is, especially during social occasions.  It would be so easy to give in and eat them and suffer at home but it isn't important enough.  Sometimes I feel like we are making ourselves social outcasts because we are being left out (our decision totally). I suppose it really is no different than making the decision of homeschooling, listening to christian music or having chickens in our backyard.  I just pray our sacrifice will keep my family as healthy as possible.  (Yes, we get sick with colds- I knew this wasn't a miracle cure going into this) 

 oh the strain....
 my helpers...  Cozi ran out early
 pumpkin seeds!

No comments: