Monday, July 22, 2013

Big Sky Triatholon- I beat my time!

Well by one minute...  I am ok with that, as long as I got faster.  I was hardly nervous until I looked up last year's time.  I did so well I couldn't believe I could get much faster.  I think I did well especially since I have been sick for over 2 weeks with a cold.  In fact, I had to carry a tissue on my run.  Hee, hee!  I talked with God and prayed that if he took care of all the fish in my path and the wind, I would do my part and do my best:)  He did half of it, no fish but there was wind coming back on the bike.  Maybe he thought I wasn't working hard enough?

  Last years time:  swim:  13:48   transition 1 :  1:54   bike:  53:45  transition 2:    :45    run:  21:49  total:  1 hour 32 min.

This years time:  swim:  13:19     transition 1:  2:04   bike:  53:48  transition 2:   :33   run:  21:30     total:  1 hour  31 min.

It is apparent if I want to get any faster, I need to work on my bike.  Hmmm....  maybe I can get Nathan to coach me?  or better yet, get him back on his bike? 

I have to laugh because I actually swam over a very big man in the beginning. He was totally in my way and I didn't feel to bad because he had a wet suit, he'd float.  In fact I almost had to do it again because he kept crossing over.  I don't know how many people sight when they swim in the open water.  It is crazy mayhem in the beginning...  I had a hard time seeing with the sun coming up and getting out onto the beach I had to lift up my goggles because I couldn't see and I felt very disoriented.   I dove into the water too soon the second time because of it and cut my knees on the rocks at the bottom.   In fact, when I finished the swim I couldn't shake it, so I felt like I was fumbling around getting my shoes on.  Weird sensation indeed.

I felt ok on my bike, I went faster than I have on my practice runs but not by much.  I think spinning once a week is going to be bumped up to at least twice/week next year.  I had one gal pass me on a hill making it look like we were going downhill.  Amazing how much stamina she had. 

Running is always a different feeling after getting off the bike.  I thought I was going so slow, but in reality I was keeping last years pace.  Not too shabby. 

My dad counted how many people were ahead of me.  This is what he came up with:  I was the 7th person out of the water.  The 27th back from biking and 17th in on the run.  There were 2 races going on at the same time:  the Duatholon run/bike/run and the triatholon.  The Duatholon racers would have finished their first run before the swimmers.  It would be interesting to go back through the times to find out when I actually came in among just the triatholon racers.  I did get 2nd in my age division.  Fair to say there were only 2 of us.  This gal I actually beat last year, she got first  and had the fastest time for the women.  I got 3rd in the overall women.  There were 32  women altogether and 35 men not including the tri teams that entered.


Afterward, my girls wanted to do the kid tri next year.  We will see...

My number tattooed on my let, just joking it is permanent marker.   The T stands for triatholon and the Duatholon people would mark a D.   My timing chip is on my ankle.  I hated because it felt like it was going to come off in the water.  Normally I wouldn't worry, but my ankles are so small there is hardly any where for the Velcro to attach to. 


 trying to control my nerves


 talking to my dad







I am one of those teeny tiny swimmers out there....



 Almost halfway done...


 taking off my goggles to see


 obviously we had to run past the women in red...
 Finished swim- thanks God, no fish anywhere in sight!


 running to my bike




 desperately trying to wipe off the little rocks on my feet and putting on socks on half wet feet



off on my bike...




 Obviously, not a lot to do while waiting for bikers to come back.  So take pictures and....


 cut toe nails and have grand daughters paint toes!  Hee, hee!


 coming back


 3 miles left to go

I am done!







 My friend Laquita's first tri race.  It is an accomplishment just doing it!


 Now that we are done, we can sit back and enjoy the rest of the summer.  No more training.  It will be a nice break.

1 comment:

SL said...

You are amazing. Third overall. Be proud, my friend. Be very proud. Sharmi